Monday, May 13, 2013
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Monday, May 6, 2013
The nonprofit sector contributed $20.9 billion to the regional economy in 2011, according to a BERC study for the Center for Nonprofit Management.
[ See Tennessean article | download entire study pdf ]
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
- Seasonally adjusted nonfarm employment for Tennessee dipped 6,600 jobs in March, the first monthly decline since July 2012. Growth over the year remains positive, with employment up 45,000. The highest over-the-year growth rates are in the Cleveland MSA (5.5%) and Nashville MSA (2.8%).
- Tennessee unemployment rate continues to rise steadily, increasing to 7.9% in March from 7.8% in the previous month.
- Permits issued for single-family home construction in Tennessee declined again in March, falling to 1,100 units. The less volatile trend is also in decline from a peak last November.
- State sales tax collections fell in March from the previous month, after seasonal adjustments. Growth of trend collections has slowed since last November.
- Seasonally adjusted initial claims for Tennessee rose somewhat in March to 5,247 weekly claims from 5,210 in February. The less volatile trend continued to fall. Initial claims remain extremely low based on the experience since 1990.
Posted by BERC at 9:43 AM
Thursday, April 25, 2013
Friday, April 12, 2013
"Dr. Muhammad Yunus, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006, will be presented with the Congressional Gold Medal at 11 a.m. EDT Wednesday, April 17, at a ceremony in the U.S. Capitol rotunda. From 1969 to 1972, Yunus was an assistant professor of economics at MTSU, where he taught both macroeconomics and microeconomics." [Read more....]
Thursday, April 11, 2013
BERC Associate Director Murat Arik will give a macroeconomic U.S. outlook presentation at the C2ER (Council for Community and Economic Research) conference in Nashville on May 22. [conference registration information]